Runners, did you know that we have our own holiday? On Wednesday, June 4 say, “Happy National Running Day!”
National Running Day is a coast-to-coast celebration of putting one foot in front of the other as a fun way to stay fit and healthy. Join a group run, chat on social media, cheer on kids, get race discounts, find a running team, score New Balance gear from a vending machine and more at events taking place around the U.S.
Held on the first Wednesday each June, National Running Day is an annual collaboration between America’s premier running organizations, including the Atlanta Track Club, the Boston Athletic Association, the Chevron Houston Marathon, the Chicago Area Runners Association, Competitor Group, Inc., the Little Rock Marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon, New York Road Runners, the Oregon Track Club, Running USA, the Twin Cities In Motion, and USA Track & Field. This year is the sixth anniversary of the event.
Join the conversation with #runningday on social media and visit www.runningday.org for more information. Here are just a few National Running Day events taking place online, nationwide and in New York City.
Chat with New York Road Runners and Runner’s World on Facebook and Twitter
12:00 p.m. Facebook Chat
NYRR coaches will answer your running etiquette questions. Wondering about headphones, corral jumpers, or even snot rockets? Ask away.
3:00 p.m. Twitter Chat
Socialize with NYRR all day
Share your #runningday pics and include the hashtags of the boroughs you’re running in: #brooklyn, #bronx, #manhattan, #queens, and #statenisland.
Raise money for charity with Timex
Tweet or Instragram your running story with #IMARUNNER. Or submit a photo or story directly to the Timex Sports Facebook page #IMARUNNER tab.
Timex will donate $5 for each eligible submission, up to $20,000, to the Boomer Esiason Foundation to fight Cystic Fibrosis. In addition to raising funds for research and awareness, the charity encourages people with cystic fibrosis to incorporate running into their daily lives to help clear their lungs.
Rock ‘n’ Roll Race Discounts
Save $20 on any race in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series when you register on June 4. The Women’s Running Series, TriRock Triathlon Series, and Carlsbad 5000 are also offering National Running Day discounts. Follow the links above for details.
Plus, registration opens on National Running Day for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series new two-day running festivals in Chicago, Virginia Beach, Philadelphia, St. Louis and Savannah. They’re adding a second day of running with a 5K to existing marathon and half-marathon events.
National Running Day Meet-Ups
Join one of the group runs in hundreds of cities around the U.S. and the world. Find a run near you at runningday.org/group-runs. If you can’t find one, host one! Details are on the website.
National Running Day Virtual and Fun Runs with Competitor Group
Register to join a Competitor virtual run on your own or fun run in 21 cities to earn a Virtual Finisher Badge and entry into a National Running Day Prize Pack drawing. Register here.
And print and hang on your door Rock ‘n’ Roll’s “I’m Out Running” sign to let the neighborhood know you’re a runner.
Life Time Run
Join Life Time Run as they attempt to log 20,000 miles nationwide. Life Time Run is hosting free social runs across the country. Participant’s miles will be tracked as part of reaching the 20,000-mile goal. Visit lifetimerun.com to find a run near you.
New York City Events
NYRR Citywide Events
New York Road Runners (who I freelance for as host of On The Run) has a full schedule of National Running Day Events planned throughout the five boroughs. Here are just a few highlights:
- Get a free five-borough bandana at group runs and events across the five boroughs, including the Breakfast Run in Manhattan, Astoria Park in Queens and an evening group run in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.
- NYRR will have a complimentary water stations in parks across the five boroughs, including Prospect Park and Brooklyn Bridge Park in Brooklyn and Clove Lakes Park in Staten Island. Runners can also customize their own National Running Day bibs there.
- Breakfast Run: 6:00–10:00 a.m. Visit NYRR’s 9 East 89th Street location for free breakfast, the chance to run with other locals, and to get training tips from NYRR’s Coach John before or after your morning run. Lockers and restroom facilities will be available. Runners will receive a free five-borough bandanna while supplies last.
- Mighty Milers Fun Run: from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Nearly 2,000 kids from New York City public schools throughout the five boroughs will take over Icahn Stadium in a year-end running celebration that includes 400- and 800-meter runs, infield games, relay races, an obstacle course, and more. NYRR’s youth running program Mighty Milers has helped 135,000 children nationally and 75,000 NYC kids cumulatively run 4.25 million miles in the 2013-2014 school year.
- Singlets Mixer Happy Hour: 7:00-9:30 p.m. Looking for a running club? Join NYRR staffers and local runners at Fornino on Pier 6 in Brooklyn for the annual NYRR Singlets Mixer. There are more than 100 running clubs in New York City. Find one in a fun atmosphere with refreshments and giveaways starting at 7:00 p.m. RSVP at eventbrite.com.
For a full schedule of NYRR’s events in each New York City borough, including a senior walk, Team For Kids happy hour and more, visit NYRR’s National Running Day page.
Westin New Balance Vending Machine
Instead of snacks, get running gear at Westin Hotels & Resorts social media-activated New Balance vending machine. A vending machine? Yes, a vending machine!
Visit the machine outside of the Westin New York Grand Central beginning at 8:30 a.m. on June 4. Tweet the hashtags as instructed on the machine to receive complimentary New Balance T-shirts, sneakers, and more.
RunWESTIN Group Run
Beginning at 10:30 a.m. national RunWESTIN Concierge, Chris Heuisler, will lead a 5K run through midtown Manhattan.
Happy National Running Day! Let’s get out there and run!